12.23.2011

Sleigh Bells Ring ...

Painting by Richard De Wolfe

So my Christmas tree-getting experience was not exactly what I pictured this year.  

Here’s what I pictured:

Me, at a tree farm about an hour north of the city, all bundled up in my winter attire, bumping along in a horse-drawn carriage, to the sound of sleigh bells ringing and horse hooves crunching in the snow.  I’d be grasping a hot chocolate (or a heavily spiked apple cider depending on the day) through a pair of my coziest mittens, my cheeks rosy, my eyes sparkling with excitement.  I'd see the perfect tree and cry out, "That's it! I see it!" and a very handsome lumberjack-type would pull out his saw (no that’s not a metaphor you dirty girl) and cut it down for me.  I’d go home happy, and decorate it, the smell of pine needles filling my apartment. 

Here’s what really happened:

Me, at a Walmart with my best friend (who is Jewish) trying to figure out which tree has the  most lights for the least amount of money.  It is true.  Sometimes life is cruel .... ;)  Actually, we still had fun but I really do wish I had gotten a real tree though.  There's just something about the look and smell of a real tree that makes your home seem so much more Christmas-y.  Next year it's going to be the tree farm experience all the way!  Here are some pics to keep the dream alive :)

Painting by Richard De Wolfe
Painting by Thomas Kinkade
Thomas Kinkade
Thomas Kinkade
Forever,
Amber

No comments:

Post a Comment